Thursday, July 30, 2009

Saratoga Diary - July 30

I'll try to keep it simple today. Most of the races have stayed on the grass which is good news for those who like full fields but bad news for me as I'm not usually good with cheaper grass horses.

Two year old races have often been a strong subset for me so I'll try to focus on getting some return from Races 7 and 9.

Race #7
$10 W - The Underling
$2 exacta box - The Underling/Atrea/Awesome Maria =$12

Race #9
$10 W - Bulls and Bears
$2 exacta box - Bulls and Bears/Backtalk/Lukas Entry =$12

Wagered - $44
Meet Total = -$52.00 (-100.00%)

After seeing the really strong race run by Beautician in the Schuylerville it's hard to make a good case against The Underling in Race 7. She ran a good second to Beautician and the third place horse has already come back to win a race as well. Atrea has sneaky good credentials as well as she ran a very good debut for a barn that does not specialize in good debuts. Mott scored yesterday with a second timer and Atrea was far more impressive than Come From Behind was in their initial starts. I like the Hough horse to sneak into the exotics and make the payout a bit juicier. Stanley Hough is often good with juveniles at the Spa and his meet got off to a good start yesterday with Gold Trippi.

Everyone can see the merits of Bulls and Bears and Backtalk in the Sanford. Those two stick out a bit but I'm using the Lukas entry as a part of my exacta because I like the look of Activity Report. I thought he was huge last time out and should be right in the mix here. I'm not a big fan of Enumerate. I thought Asumussen was actually pretty cold yesterday aside from having the standout Hot Dixie Chick. Exceptional horses are often exceptions and she may just be an exception in his barn since everything else he sent out was terribly flat.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Bulls and Bears blows the break. But maybe now more under the radar, Discretely Mine who last lost by a neck to B&B gets the rail in a 48k Maiden at the Spa. I like Hockley too, but good good prices could result.

-Gravano