Friday, June 20, 2008

Weekend Picks and Analysis

Queens Plate Stakes
I don't have many strong fancies this weekend, at least not any that I think will pay. Mauralakana looks solid in the New York but she'll pay just above the minimum. Being Canadian I feel somewhat obliged to weigh in on this contest whether I have a strong opinion or not. The Queen's Plate is the oldest continually run sporting event on the continent and many good horses have emerged from it. This year I think it will be a special occasion for a very good emerging horse. It's been a while since a filly won the Queen's Plate but I'd feel very confident with a size able wager on Ginger Brew. She looks to be really top class. Not only does she handle every surface but she has shown good form against Americans already and is more than bred to stay the trip. Perhaps it's a little overconfident of me to say it but I could see this one following in the steps of Dance Smartly and sweeping the Triple Crown. She has all the tools including the bravery needed to barge her way through. The colts are also somewhat lackluster this year. There are no less than five maidens in the Plate and there are just 3 stakes winners. She is the only horse to have won a stakes race that was not restricted to Canadian-breds. Stronach stables have another gem of a filly to go along with their impressive stock. She's simply too good for these and I don't expect her to be challenged much as long as she stays at Woodbine among 3yo's. not Bourbon is a classy horse who likely won't stay. I thought the same of Edenwold and he proved me wrong but I doubt it will happen again here. Use him underneath though along with the maiden D. Flutie. He's getting better and was likely moved too quickly last time. The connections are spot on for this race and he might be a nice price.

Ginger Brew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Javier must think GB is a solid mount as he's travelling from VA (Colonial Turf Cup) today all the way to Toronto tomorrow for the race...