Friday, July 18, 2008

Weekend Picks And Analysis

Virginia Derby
This race puts me in an odd position because I'm going to go against a horse I think very highly of and in fact I quite exciting about my play in this race. The horse I think very highly of is Gio Ponti, I've actually played him in all his lifetime starts to date. He looks like a superb mile prospect. It would not shock me to see him develop into a G-1 type of horse later in his career. He settles professionally, he's very brave and lightning quick. I'm a sucker for those quick accelerating types but like Artie Schiller back in 2004 he looks more like a miler who will find this distance a bit stout. Artie still managed to run second behind Kitten's Joy in this fixture and there is no Kitten's Joy in here but I still think Gio Ponti will be found out by the distance. If not, great, that means he's much better than I think he is but I won't hold a loss against him. The horse I'm looking to play with both fists is Old Man Buck. He the single of the weekend for me. He's got great form on the grass and I think he was brought up to this race perfectly. He set a new career high in his yearly debut but found Tizdejavu too tough. There is no shame in that. Tizdejavu might be the best 3yo turf horse since Kitten's Joy. Old Man Buck ran an encouraging race and looks set for another lifetime best. I think he'll win this race impressively over a gallant Gio Ponti. I like Court Vision to fill out the minor placings. Firmer turf should suit him while it should be a bit of a detrement to Sailor's Cap. I don't believe that he is as good as his last race. I expect a regression on firmer ground.

Old Man Buck

No comments: