Friday, August 21, 2009

Saratoga Diary - Aug 21

While I failed to have many winners on top yesterday I did manage to hit all three exacta's that I played. My horses also ran 1-2-4 in the only trifecta I played on the day. Things worked out pretty well. Many of the picks were just combination's of the obvious but it's still nice to enjoy some success. Success has been a rare thing in these parts during Saratoga.

George Weaver went on an unbelievable run of three straight winners. He's one to watch in the second half. For some reason I basically never catch any of his winners. I guess his style and mine don't line up at all.

If anyone was checking out the Kennedy Speed Ratings yesterday they could have put you onto 2 winners in 3 races. Also two exacta's and a winning trifecta in those same races. It was mostly chalk but that's just the kind of day it was. Some horses ran surprising races but all in all none of the winners were totally off the wall horses.



Spot Plays for Aug 21

Race #1
$10 W - Sapphire Sky =$10

Race #2
$1 exacta box - The Mayor/Jazz Hands/Orrsville =$6

Race #3
$10 W - China =$10

Race #6
$2 exacta box - Genuine Charm/Awesome Maria/Sing My Song =$12

Race #7
$1 exacta box - Ice Road/Blackberry Road/Luv Gov =$6

Wagered - $44
Meet Balance = -$538.70 (-52.40%)

I went back to some win bets despite my recent success with exacta's. I think Sapphire Sky was great value when Doremifasollatido was still in the race, now that she's out I think she's a possible standout.

I also put some money down on the nose of China. I really think this horse has something special and I would have bet him in the Saratoga Special yesterday. His connections likely saved me some money by scratching because the Dutrow horse ran out of this world. Maybe Pletcher knew something. At any rate he looks like the winner here.

Not much to say about the two $1 exacta boxes I'm playing but the 6th looks like a great opportunity. McLaughlin is an automatic with second timers and his Genuine Charm fits the profile perfectly. Dynazaper has the look of a good one and Awesome Maria is the deserving chalk. I like my chances in that one because of the strong McLaughlin angle.

EDIT: Dynazaper is out so I'm replacing her with Sing My Song

No comments: