Monday, August 03, 2009

Saratoga Diary - Aug 3

So it's the last day of week one at Saratoga and for many of us it's our last chance to do something respectable. Even though the Past Performances have been released for the start of next week I haven't really looked at those cards at all. For now it's been enough to reflect on the quality we've been seeing. Hot Dixie Chick, Forever Together, Kensei and Justenuffhumor were impressive winners. Well in line with the historical expectation of top class performances at this track.

It looks like the rain will hold off so only the 2yo races are affected. Both races 3 and 5 were taken off the turf quite early.

Race #2
$1 exacta box - Most Happy Fella/Porcello/Treasure Trunk =$6

Race #3
$10 W - Pendulum
$2 exacta box - Pendulum/King Kitten/Zayat Entry =$12

Race #5
$10 W - Zilva
$2 exacta box - Zilva/Pretty B/Leopard Rock =$12

Race #8
$10 W - Everday Heroes

Race #9
$1 exacta box - Golden Mexico/Royal Vindication/Together Indy =$6

Wagered - $66
Meet Balance = -$200.70 (-87.64%)

I'm a little over budget today but even with these wagers I'm in below the $50 per day average for the week. I am going back to the 2yo races and spreading my shots with some exacta's but I'm keying on an angle that I like in races 3 and 5. Motion is not known for his babies but he is very good with horses in off the turf races. He already had Zimmer fill the bottom on an exacta at a decent price in a similar event and I like both his entrants in races 3 and 5.

In today's feature I see it as an extremely tough event not unlike the Jim Dandy in that there are several talented and consistent horses lining up. I'm going against Quality Road because I think he's not a pure sprinter like some others but also because Pletcher has been cold, especially on the main track. Everyday Heroes has only ever lost to Munnings and Kensei hasn't lost since facing those two. I think Everyday Heroes is a better pure sprinter than Quality Road and he might be more talented than Capt. Candyman Can who I also really respect. Don't be surprised to see a massive performance from the winner and a big Beyer earned.

Should be another great day of racing at the Spa!

No comments: