Monday, March 19, 2007

Weekend Review

Weekend Overview: A quiet weekend by most standards, we did have the huge showdown at Tampa Bay Downs which more than lived up to its billing but outside of Tampa the action was quiet. Tampa Bay Downs only narrowly missed out on the Tip O'the Cap award for the card they were able to offer this past weekend. This little track has come a long way and it was major coup to attract the quality that they did. Cotton Blossom looked very nice and I think stamped herself as a contender in the 3yo filly division.

Performance of the Week: Cassydora is not best served by going to the lead early, but when you're simply the best horse, why not? She really dominated the Hillsborough that included the classy My Typhoon. For me its a toss up between Cassydora and Naissance Royale for the best in the east at the moment in this division. She also got the second highest turf Beyer Speed Figure (105) of the year to date.

Race of the Week: Street Sense and Any Given Saturday really put on a show in the Tampa Bay Derby. I will be commenting on this race more in my Derby top 10 update but one could even put the Derby ramifications aside and still see this as the best race of the week. Maybe the best of the year so far. Two top class colts dueling it out to the finish in track record time and to the naked eye it almost looked like a dead heat. Thrilling stuff from both colts.

Flop of the Weekend: I'm actually not going to nominate anyone for this dubious honor, I really did not see any really bad performances by any horses who ought to have done better. Nor did I see anything untoward from any connections. I guess Flying First Class might have qualified but I never thought much of him and I feel bad putting the boot to old D. Wayne Lukas.

TCR Mover’s and Shakers: No changes to the top 10 this week. The biggest mover was Cassydora whose victory in the G-3 Hillsborough not only gave her the boost she needed to take the top spot but it also made her eligible for the undefeated bonus. She hasn't been topped in 3 starts now and is currently the 12th ranked horse overall. Any Limit was just pipped on the line and that cost her first place in the FM Sprint division. She moved into second though and looks good to improve her record.

Tip O’the Cap: This week I'm going to send out the salute to Merv Griffin. How can you not cheer for a guy who seems to love the game so much. Cobalt Blue is hardly Secretariat but as long as he keeps doing well Merv will get face time on tv and that is nothing but a good thing for racing. So here's to Mr. Griffin the entertainer and sportsman.

KC Handicapping: It felt like an off week going in and it turned out to be a bit of an off week. Any Given Saturday lost but only narrowly, my exacta in the Rebel turned out to be reversed and my picks in the Shirley Jones ran 2-3-4. Not a lot in terms of total return but I wasn't too far off the ball. The only selected horse who ran a bad race really was Xchanger.

Cumulative record of selected horses: 7(3)-1-3-1 (-$6.60 -47.14% ROI)
Overall record: 126(50)-25-22-18 (+$24.20 +9.6% ROI)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey Ryder finished second in a Grade I and you have her nowhere? It was a grade III cassydora won, i just don't get it. Your opinions confuse me. No Citronnade or Conveyor's Angel

Kennedy said...

You must be thinking of the TBA point system, or at least comparing my results with the TBA point system.

For a look the point scale you can click on the link entitled "Full Standings (2007-1999)"

I am entirely confident in the accuracy and relevance of my point system when compared to others.

Cassydora has now won 3 races this year. While none of them were worth as much as Honey Ryder's G-1 placing individually, collectively they carry greater weight. Incidetally Cittronade, Conveyor's Angel and Honey Ryder are ranked 4th, 5th and 6th in the FM Turf division.

The basic difference between the TCR and the TBA system is the differing regard we have for G-1's as compared to other races. Feel free to browse through the past results. I'm sure you will find that they are greater relevance than other systems.

If you would like a more detailed explanation I would be happy to provide it.